While a lot has been written and said about the “need” certification when it comes to the Paycheck Protection Program, particularly for public companies, the SBA and Treasury have been relatively quiet about how many borrowers that received PPP funds elected to to take advantage of the government’s subsequent safe harbor to return funds. In connection with the forgiveness process, the SBA has indicated that it will review all loans in excess of $2 million, but will deem all borrowers of $2 million or less to have made the required certification concerning the necessity of the loan request in good faith.
Based on our analysis below, 88% of public borrowers that received PPP loans elected to retain their PPP proceeds, and 75% of borrowers approved for PPP loans of between $5 and $10 million did the same. Based on our discussions with PPP borrowers throughout the country, we think this is consistent with the economic uncertainty that was created by the coronavirus.
Based on a review of SEC filings, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner identified over 850 borrowers who indicated that they had received PPP loan approvals. 107 of these borrowers, or roughly 12 percent, subsequently indicated that they either ultimately did not accept the loan, or returned the loan proceeds. About 25% of public companies who returned their loans had PPP borrowings that were less than the $2 million threshold for review indicated above.
Of the 759 public companies that elected not to return their PPP funds, approximately 73% received $2 million or less, while the remaining 27% had PPP loans of more than $2 million. About 8% of the public company recipients received less than $100,000, while over 55% received less than $1 million.