While I continued on a family vacation (which was totally worthwhile), Jonathan and Jim McAlpin recorded an episode of The Bank Account looking at planning a strategic planning session for your bank. Jonathan and Jim cover a wide array of topics based on their collective experience in assisting dozens of banks with their strategic planning.
Among the multitude of topics covered include:
- thinking about shareholder interests in strategic planning;
- what the “new normal” means for community banks;
- how frequently strategic planning sessions should occur;
- the importance of efficiency ratio analysis;
- the length of a “good” strategic plan;
- board composition; and
- the need to address whether or not to pursue the sale of the bank with the board.
I’m biased, but if you haven’t listed to The Bank Account, I highly encourage this episode as an introduction.
Other items mentioned on the podcast include:
- The Treasury’s Department’s Report on Financial Reform
- The OCC’s Keith Noreika’s Testimony to the Senate
- The Manitou Incline – Only one mile in length, but 2,744 steps and a 2,000 foot climb in elevation.
You can follow Jonathan on Twitter at @HightowerBanks. Jim isn’t on Twitter, but has mastered the latest in carrier pigeon technology.