As of February 11, 2009, those banks qualifying as “primary dealers” were:
- BNP Paribas Securities Corp.
- Bank of America Securities LLC
- Barclays Capital Inc.
- Cantor Fitzgerald & Co.
- Citigroup Global Markets Inc.
- Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC
- Daiwa Securities America Inc.
- Deutsche Bank Securities Inc.
- Dresdner Kleinwort Securities LLC.
- Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Greenwich Capital Markets Inc.
- HSBC Securities (USA) Inc.
- J. P. Morgan Securities Inc.
- Mizuho Securities USA Inc.
- Morgan Stanley & Co. Incorporated
- UBS Securities LLC.
Four notable changes to the list have occurred in the past year. Countrywide Securities Corporation was removed on July 15, 2008, due to its acquisition by Bank of America. Lehman Brothers Inc. was removed on September 22, 2008, due to bankruptcy. Bear Stearns & Co. Inc. was removed from the list on October 1, 2008, due to its acquisition by J.P. Morgan Chase. Merrill Lynch Government Securities Inc. was removed from the list on February 11, 2009, due to its acquisition by Bank of America.